You awake from your reverie to a clarion call. The audio pilgrims’ great journey must continue, taking you into even more rarified atmospheres where the muses sing and dance with delight. Here are steep slopes only the technically prepared mountain goats dare to navigate. The unfortunate and unprepared may fall, but musical Truth comes into even clearer focus as one’s eyes look towards the summit. This is place of hawks whose cry reverberates with such clarity and presence that you feel more alive. Your soul gets its high octane boost from the first child of Truth. Here the DAA-3 rules a kingdom beyond the grasp of mass production, beyond the limitations of being crippled by trying to make it fit into a price point. In this rarified realm there is only one way to go, up. Having travelled this far, with Olympus so near, give yourself the experience of the Ultimate Truth.
DAA3+RAM | Damn Awesome Amplifier + Remote Advanced Magnetics
Whammerdyne “Damn Awesome Amp” (DAA-3+RAM)
The new DAA3+ RAM (Damn Awesome Amplifier + Remote Advanced Magnetics). The world’s first remote audio output transformers with three available transformer options. We take another big leap with remote placement of the output transformers this allows for many advantages. First the wonderful technology of our DAA3 model carries through (please see the DAA3 page) now we add the option of the larger highest quality output transformers used in our flagship “Truth” model. (three transformer options available) This unique approach has numerous advantages.
Moving the transformers away from the main amplifier chassis has many technical benefits. One of many eliminating magnetic coupling interactions with power supply transformers and other sources of magnetic fields and noise internal to chassis. Even in the best of conditions with careful spacing and orientation the output transformers are part of the amplifiers chassis and assembly this presents many unfavorable conditions, resulting in induced magnetic coupling and the increased levels of measured hum, noise and cross talk all contributing to a higher noise floor and higher distortion. Let’s take our “Truth” model and flagship of the Whammerdyne offerings that has a world-renowned low hum and noise level at under 33 micro volts (wide band) that’s millionth of a volt!) The reason we achieved this low level with the Truth comes in part from a very unique chassis design and the physical way we mount the power transformer and “Null” its interactions with the output transformers but there is a limit and that’s physical spacing the more space the bigger the chassis. While our remote chassis DAA3+ RAM and it’s remote transformers comes in at an astounding 3 micro-volts** wide band, that is over 140 dB down! (we actually have made some tests at zero!) the limit of our 6.5 digit lab reference test equipment.
What is achieved by this even lower wide band hum and noise? The lowest levels of the delicate music signal are revealed and reproduced without loss (Not masked or buried in the noise floor). In many cases (well most all) tube audio designs by other manufacturers having higher noise floors (and they do!) fine details, harmonics, spatial information, and phase information is buried and masked/lost in the higher noise floor. In addition, the power wasting (DCR resistance and inductance/reactance) and all the issues with speaker cables becomes a non-issue. That’s a huge bonus! Most manufacturers of amplifiers will not give you a noise floor or hum and noise measurement. Even if they do, it’s usually a weighted or narrow band of measurement that hides the fact that their designs lose low level information or alter/distort it with the interactions of the noise floor and the signal. In summation what we have achieved is the best of all worlds as our amplifier circuit technology designs, already the world’s finest DC capacitorless SE (Single Ended) amplifiers we just raised the bar with the lowest noise floor amplifier on the planet. “Once your hear it, you can’t unhear it”
Amplifier Module DAA3+ RAM
- (Dual) auto-former (Left & Right channels) Front panel input volume controls. These are custom wound tapped transformers of ultra-wide bandwidth with 23 precision attenuation steps.
- Dual RCA source inputs, selectable (Input 1 and Input 2)
- Large 3.5-inch front panel relative power meter as used on our truth flagship. Auto ranging for easy viewing at a distance. Lighted (red upon power up 4 minutes times out, white soft lighting at operate)
- 4 and 8 ohm 5 way speaker binding posts
- 6DJ8/6922 input gain/drive tube DC coupled by our unique” Z-Direct” coupling circuit to the output stage, Ultra-fast recovery. (TRUE DC stage coupled, no capacitors in the signal path) No DC blocking or capacitor artifacts, phase shift is a thing of the past. We use a hand computer graded and matched tubes** sections NOS (New Old Stock) of the highest quality
- 2A3 output tubes (upgraded to “Ultra Test Select” matched pairs USA made. Tubes are managed in a perfect operating environment by a true negative grid bias and run on regulated DC supplies and DC filaments
- EZ bias system utilizing analog panel meter with indicated “set” point bias takes only a few minutes and only needs adjustment as tubes age. Built in tube condition tester.
- Ultra-custom matched external output transformers mounted on CNC machined heavy aluminum chassis “Mirror Imaged” Chassis can be placed right next to your speakers so speaker cables can be kept very short. The output transformers are of special core material and high bandwidth, extremely low insertion loss, low distortion and low DCR design (Three options available)
- Amplifier to remote output transformer umbilical’s (10) feet in length each allow for easy placement of transformers behind or next to your speakers. Special construction cables, designed by us, built by us (Teflon) dielectric of very low capacitance, ultra low series resistance (copper/silver) and extremely low inductance. Terminated with a twist locking connector(s) at the amplifier chassis. Called our “E-Z” mate system
- Four+ watts per channel, peak power 6.5 watts per channel (max impulse power exceeds 12 watts per channel)
- Wide-band hum and noise less than 3 micro-volts. (both channels**) Our lab reference “Bogie” set of tubes is utilized in testing to meet this published specification. Generally, we match pairs of output tubes that meet a range of 20 micro volts to 200 micro volts, all tubes vary to some degree, you can be assured in this model we will use the tubes that get us as close as we can to the lowest noise figures. Your included test performance certificate will have this test result noted
- Bandwidth – 3 dB down 6 Hz and 145 KHz*. Bandwidth +/- 2nd harmonic – 70+ dB down at rated power*
- Umbilical 10 foot cable length is measured at 23 picofarads of capacitance @1 Khz, .3145 Ohms DCR, 3.532 micro-henrys at 10 Khz, 43.48 picofarads @ 10Khz. DF factor .01599 @ 10 Khz
- Signal to Noise better than 120 dB
- 107 watts, line at 117 volts AC 60 Hz.
- Warranty 5 years amplifier and power base, remote transformers. 90 days tubes
- Provided with New Old Stock issue 2A3 tubes and 6DJ8/6922 (Matched pairs and matched section NOS) ** Ultra Hand selected tubes are from our vast inventory of New Old stock tubes (NOS) and Old stock tubes. Precision matched and graded on an Amplitrex AT-1000 computer test unit (We provide printed test results and matching results with the amplifier)
- * Bandwidth as published for level 1 output transformers, level 2 and 3 bandwidth is increased over level 1. Level 2 and 3 at additional cost inquire** 2) Amorphous core 3) Nano X Crystalline Core
- Certificate of bench lab tests and certified performance certificate provided with unit (signed)
- Handmade in Oregon, USA
Priced at $6900.00 (Level 1 transformers)** plus shipping
50% deposit. Shipping 60 days or less from deposit date